When you use the website, you represent and warrant that you are at least 13 years of age, and have the right, authority, and capacity to enter into this Agreement and to abide by all of the terms and conditions of this Agreement.
Any content (including text, pictures, video, audio, etc.) that you post, share, link to, or that appears on our site through a third party service (such as a social media site), may not promote or express hatred, racism or bigotry toward any person or group of people, may not be obscene, threatening, or libelous, may not contain nudity or exploit anyone under the age of eighteen in a sexual manner, depict any sexual act, or be graphic in any way. ChapterBuzz reserves the right to remove such material and/or suspend or cancel the account of the person who posted it without notice, as it deems necessary and at its sole discretion.
ChapterBuzz will not be held responsible for any lost content due to software glitches, failure of user to save or back up data, or any other form of data loss. Responsibility for keeping backups of your content falls upon you, the user. This site makes use of HTML5 local storage, which may or may not be supported by your browser. If it is supported, the text you enter in our text editor will be stored on a file on your device's local storage medium in real time as you type. This data is not automatically erased and will persist even after you've saved your work. The data stored on your device's local storage medium is specific to the device, browser, and website you are using, and cannot, by normal means, be accessed by any other device, browser, or website. We are not responsible for the access or misuse, by any unauthorized party, of content stored in this manner.
While we do everything possible to prevent private material from being viewed publicly, ChapterBuzz will not be held responsible for the consequences of non-public content being accessed or viewed by any party due to software glitches or other extenuating circumstances. Any material (excluding sensitive information) you compose on, post on, upload to ChapterBuzz, or link to, is subject to unintentional public viewing.
When you post (or link to) content on ChapterBuzz, you grant us a worldwide, royalty-free, non-exclusive license to reproduce your content, in whole or in part, for the purpose of promotion (both of your content and of our site(s) and services), on this site, any of our subsidiary sites, third-party sites (e.g., social media sites), or in an offline, physical format. We also reserve the right to use, for the same promotional purposes, your name, your likeness, and any other non-sensitive information connected to your account that you provide to us. Note that such promotional material may remain on our site, on the third-party sites we post to, or in an offline, physical format even if you delete your account or remove your content from our site.
At no point, however, do we own the rights to your work. You retain all rights to your own work.
The following guidelines apply to all content you post to the site or link to:
- Must be your own original work and you must own all rights to it, or have written permission from any and all other rightsholders to post it on the site
- Posting or linking to plagiarized work, in whole or in part, is strictly prohibited
- The content must not fall into our definitions of spam, pornography, or violent images, as defined in the "Definitions" section of this document
- Your content must not:
- be threatening, intimidating, or libelous
- promote, condone, or express (or appear to promote, condone, or express) hatred, bigotry, violence, or discrimination toward any person or group of people based on that person or group's race, color, sex, ethnic origin, sexual orientation, or gender identity
- be primarily sexual in nature. Here, we draw a distinction between content whose primary purpose is sexual arousal, and content that primarily seeks to portray sexual activity in limited amounts or to discuss sexual issues, which is allowed. Our judgement prevails in determining which of these categories any given content falls into
- exploit anyone under the age of eighteen in a sexual context
- violate any laws
- infringe upon any existing copyright
- have rights that are owned by another party
Before posting or linking to your content for public consumption, you will be required to rate it. For simplicity and relatability, we use the same ratings the MPAA uses for movies. Here is how the MPAA, on its website, defines each rating:
Please rate your material "R" or "NC-17" if it contains:
- G. "Nothing that would offend parents for viewing by children."
- PG. "May contain some material parents might not like for their young children."
- PG-13. "Some material may be inappropriate for pre-teenagers."
- R. "Contains some adult material."
- NC-17. "Clearly adult."
- Extreme or graphic violence
- Violent images (see "Definitions" section)
- Explicit descriptions of sexual acts
- Explicit descriptions of drug use
- Frequent use of profanity
We understand there are gray areas in determining which rating your content should be assigned, and recognizing this, we allow some flexibility in this regard. However, by using this site and posting content, you affirm that the rating you give to your own work is based upon your best judgement according to the guidelines we've set forth here. ChapterBuzz reserves the right to assign a different rating (or a minimum rating) to your work if, in our sole judgement, we decide a different rating is more appropriate.
You understand that each writer has a responsibility to rate his or her own material, and agree that we are not responsible for any consequences arising from improperly rated content.
- Pornography. Nudity, descriptions, or images of persons engaged in graphic sexual acts, or who appear to be engaged in graphic sexual acts, are considered pornography. Sexual content is allowed in certain contexts, but approval will be at our sole discretion.
- Spam. Considered spam and thereby ineligible for ChapterBuzz is content that:
- contains affiliate links; or misleading, disguised, or masked links
- promotes get-rich-quick or internet money-making schemes
- contains SEO keyword spam
Also considered spam is content that encourages readers to visit websites to create accounts, as well as content that attempts to mislead the reader by making false or inaccurate claims for commercial gain.
- Violent images. Violent images are graphic depictions of violent acts being perpetrated (or having been perpetrated) upon a person, group of people, or any other living (or formerly living) being, with those beings appearing in the image.
You are responsible for protecting your username and password, and not revealing them to anybody for any reason. In the event your password is compromised, you are responsible for reporting the matter to us and changing your password immediately. With respect to restrictions, users are generally prohibited from doing things like: posting or transmitting harmful or illegal content, interfering with the website's operation, trying to hack into password protected areas, and taking actions that will create an unreasonably large load on the website's infrastructure.
As a ChapterBuzz member or website visitor, you will not:
- stalk, harass, intimidate or threaten any other users of the website for any reason
- impersonate any individual or organization
- engage in any conduct while using the website that could be construed as threatening, intimidating, libelous, discriminatory, or otherwise unlawful
- post or transmit harmful or illegal content
- create fake or spam accounts
- send spam or spamlike material to other members
- post or transmit spam or spamlike material to any part of the website
- post or transmit any material to the website that violates the terms set forth in the section of this document entitled "Content"
- take any actions that would create an unreasonably large load on the website's resources and infrastructure
- interfere with the website's intended operation in any way
- make unauthorized attempts to access password-protected areas of the website
ChapterBuzz allows you to post books that are already published and available for sale, as long as you mark them as such. When marking books as published, you are required to provide the following information:
- A URL where the book is available for sale. This must be a web page a user can order your book from directly. For example, if your book is available on Amazon, the URL you provide must send the user directly to your book's page on Amazon, not just to the Amazon home page. Note: affiliate URLs, or URLs connected to programs that earn you commission, are not allowed here.
- An image of your book cover. The image you provide must be either suitable for print or for upload as an e-book cover. The image you provide can be neither a screenshot nor a photograph, either of your book or of a screen.
Service Provider Terms
In order to receive inquiries about your services and begin working with any of the Author/Client users on our site, or to make contact with an Author/Client to provide an estimate, you must first be registered as a Service Provider.
As a service provider who is registered in our Service Directory, the following terms apply:
- You agree that the role of ChapterBuzz is simply to provide a forum where you can connect with potential clients who are in need of your services as a writing, editing, publishing, or book promotion professional. At no point will you be considered an employee of ChapterBuzz, nor will you receive any payment or compensation from us
- You understand that when you make contact with a member through our site, your e-mail address will be revealed to that member so that he or she may contact you directly
- You understand that because you work on a freelance basis with clients, any disputes that arise between you and a client will be handled by you, and that ChapterBuzz is under no obligation to mediate or intervene in any disputes
- You warrant that you are certified, licensed, or otherwise legally able to operate as a business, accept clients, and take payments for your services
- You agree that it is your responsibility to communicate with a potential client, through whatever means you both deem necessary, in order to agree on the terms of a project
- You understand that all work you do for a client you've found through ChapterBuzz, and all correspondence with those clients, must be performed or handled by you personally, unless ChapterBuzz has granted you, in writing, an exception to this rule
- You understand that once initial contact has been made with a client, you are free to correspond with that client via any means necessary in order to set your own terms with the client, just as you would with any other client
- You agree to represent yourself and your qualifications truthfully and in an unexaggerated manner on your profile and in your communications with clients or potential clients
- You agree to comport yourself respectfully, professionally, and ethically at all times while working on projects for clients you've found through ChapterBuzz
- You affirm that your profile will at all times adhere to the terms set forth in the "Content" section of this document
- You agree that any URL you post on your profile will direct users to a page on a legitimate website that contains information about you, your services, or your portfolio
- You give us permission to use your name, service offerings, images you post, including images of your likeness, and other non-sensitive information you submit, for promotional purposes, either on our site or on third-party sites such as social media pages or blog posts
At ChapterBuzz, we take your privacy, anonymity, and security very seriously. Security measures are in place to safeguard the information you provide to us, however, no amount of security can completely guarantee that this information will not be obtained by third parties acting unlawfully.
You agree to indemnify and hold ChapterBuzz and its subsidiaries, partners, affiliates, officers, agents and employees, harmless from any loss, liability, claim, or demand, including reasonable attorney's fees, made by any third party due to or arising out of your use of the website in violation of this Agreement and/or arising from a breach of this Agreement and/or any breach of your representations and warranties set forth above.
Last updated June 21, 2019